Summary Table for the Whole County


Year
1801
1811
1821
1831
1841
1851
1861
1871
1881
1891
1901
Population
250,723
285,955
336,190
387,398
431,495
458,805
485,777
534,646
572,433
600,056
664,843

home           1907 introduction           population tables

The Area of the what was described as the “Ancient or Geographical County” in the 1907 table was 795,709 acres (see footnote). This is equivalent to about 1243 square miles or 322,000 hectares)

Footnote to 1907 Table

Ancient County – The county as defined by 7 & 8 Vic. c. 61, which altered Gloucestershire to the following extent :- (1) Added to Gloucestershire, Kingswood and Poulton parishes (from Wilts), parts of Iccomb ancient parish viz. Church Iccomb township, and Overbury ancient parish, viz, the hamlets of Little Washbourne and Alstone (from Worcestershire); (2) severed from Gloucestershire, Widford and Shenington ancient parishes (to Oxfordshire) Little Compton and Sutton-under-Brailes ancient parishes (to Warwickshire). Minty ancient parish (to Wiltshire) and part of Lea ancient parish, viz. Lea Lower (to Herefordshire). In addition to these changes part of Broughton Poggs ancient parish, viz. Great Lemhill Farm, and part of Great Barrington ancient parish were also added to Gloucestershire by the same statute, from Oxfordshire and Berkshire respectively; these areas, however, had always been returned with Gloucestershire. The area is taken from the 1901 Census Volume. (See also notes to Welford and Bristol.)