Coaley Page Banner

Brickmaking in Gloucestershire

A detailed account of brickmaking in the County in the early 20th century was published in 1909-11. The two-part article may be downloaded as a single PDF file (2.5MB) here.

Richardson, L. and Webb, R. J., Brickearths, Pottery & Brickmaking in Gloucestershire, Proceedings of the Cheltenham Natural Science Society, Part 1: Volume 1 (4) pp. 223-232 (1909-10); Part 2: Volume 1 (5) pp. 315-319 (1911).

[The text in the PDF document is searchable as optical character recognition has been applied to the images of the pages.]

Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company

This was one of the major brick manufacturers in the area. They opened their works on a site just north of Stonehouse (Great Western) railway station in about 1890. The brickworks chimney was the largest chimney in Gloucestershire (202 feet) until it was demolished in 1965. The works closed soon after in 1968.

A history of the company was published in 1997 and may be downloaded here as a PDF file (350kB).

Wilson, Ray, The Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company, Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology Journal for 1997 pp. 14-26.

photo

Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company:
Demolition of Chimney 1965